Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Today is "Take Back Your Time Day"... Who knew?

I took a day off work today. Unbeknownst to me, today was declared "Tack Back Your Time Day". As I was in my car driving to the bank, I heard a news report on the radio regarding "Tack Back Your Time Day".

So what exactly is "Take Back Your Time Day"? According to ABC News (via Reuters), this is the fourth annual "Take Back Your Time Day":

The idea is to persuade U.S. workers -- who tend to work long hours, put in more work hours then their European counterparts and often fail to use their allotted vacation time -- to work less, he said. Studies show working less improves productivity, employee health and morale and reduces absenteeism and on-the-job accidents, supporters say.

Today, October 24th, marks the day in 1940 that the 40-hour work week took effect under the U.S. Fair Labor Standards Act. Hence, the organizers of "Take Back Your Time Day" are asking U.S. workers to take a break.


So with that in mind, I decided to go with the McDonald's motto: "You deserve a break today".

After stopping at the bank and the post office, it was time to take back my time. I picked up a newspaper and drove to Fry's Electronics. I've never been to Fry's so early in the morning -- 10 A.M., to be exact. The parking lot was empty, and the store wasn't crowded. It made for a pleasurable shopping experience. I ended up buying a spindle of blank DVD-Rs.

After wandering around Circuit City, it was time for lunch. I decided to try Ono Hawaiian BBQ. I ordered the Chicken & Beef Combo, which consited of BBQ chicken, BBQ beef, macaroni salad, and steamed rice. Here is the menu, for your viewing pleasure. I enjoyed the combo, needless to say.

After stops at Target and Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, I'm here in front of the computer writing about "Take Back Your Time Day". Guess I should mark this down on my calendar...

Wow, "Take Back Your Time Day" has its own website!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home